Bugs… can’t live with em, can’t live without em. You might not like bugs, but they do serve a purpose (although a small one) in this world. They are everywhere and unavoidable on any outdoor trip, whether you’re hiking the Appalachian Trail or rafting down the Colorado.
Not only do they look creepy but getting nasty bugs bites can ruin your day, causing constant itching and pain in some cases. Many of us have been looking for the answers on how to rid ourselves of bugs on a trip. We all respect nature which is why we don’t advocate exterminating any bugs you run into on the trail. But if you find yourself getting attacked by gnats, mosquitos or roaches you will want to do your best to repel them.
I created a list of 10 Easy Tips To Help You Avoid Bugs. Enjoy!
1. Make a fire – Bugs do not like the heat and smoke from a nice camp fire.
2. Bring bug spray – Any type of popular bug repellent will do the trick. Be sure to spray often.
3. Use a bug net – Sleeping under the stars sounds fun but not when there are bugs constantly flying in your face and buzzing in your ear.
4. Don’t wear perfume – Bugs love the sweet smell of cologne and perfume. Don’t bring it!
5. Take B-1 vitamins – Load up on B-1 before and during your outdoor adventures. Bugs don’t like the smell it gives off (you can’t smell it though).
6. Eat garlic – Your spouse might not kiss you, but it does the trick getting rid of bugs.
7. Burn citronella candles – Best if there is not a lot of wind and you’re in an enclosed place like a shelter or cave.
8. Wear outdoor clothing – It’s tough for a bug to get though long sleeve clothing and gear specifically made for protection.
9. Put a tall pole in your backpack – I heard that gnats always swarm around the tallest object on you. Stick a tall pole in your backpack and they’ll swam at the top of it… 3 feet above your head.
10. Don’t leave food out – definitely don’t leave opened food laying around your camp site. Not only will you attract bugs but the bears may find you too.
Do you have any tips you’d like to add for the readers? Please leave a comment below.